Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Sarah Jane Perkins PB

This is the PB of Sarah Jane Perkins Rogerson, my second great grandma. It was done in 1875 and if you read the beginning carefully it says, "A Blessing by John L. Smith patriarch ..." I thought the name John L. Smith looked familiar so I looked it up and sure enough I was right. John Smith was the nephew of Joseph Smith Jr. the first prophet of the church and the first son of Hyrum Smith, Joseph's older brother, from his first wife Jerusha Barden Smith. The recorder is J.R. Smith, John had two son's named John and Joseph, but neither of them had a middle name that started with a R, so I don't know who the recorder was.
The PB was done "Parowan Iron Co, Utah In Apr 2nd 1x75", which makes me think that John Smith wandered the Utah Territory giving PB's to the members instead of everyone going to their local Stake Patriarch. Does anyone know the real story of how PB's were done back then?

No comments: