Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Thomas and Elizabeth Wright

I just got an email from the Patriarchal Blessing dept that Thomas and Elizabeth Wright, my 4th Great Grandparents, did not have PB's, but when I was researching Edmund and Maria Walker I found that they were neighbors in the 1860 Census. I looked up Thomas and Elizabeth on the Pioneer Overland Travel website and found an interesting story. While they were crossing 30 people in their company died of cholera. A man named  Edward Middlemass accused Thomas of murdering his wife. Even though she died of cholera, Edward said Thomas poisoned her. Go read the story here. It turns out Edward Middlemass caused a bunch of trouble while they were crossing the plains and Thomas was exonerated. You have to read the trail excerpt to get the effect of the scandal.

No comments: